AMM Study Abroad: London

With Fall Semester in full swing, we are already looking forward to Spring Semester. Every year, the AMM department allows students the opportunity to travel and study abroad in London for their Spring term. Sounds like a great opportunity right? I'm sure that you all have had shown the slightest of interest in this, but were on the hence for reason such as money, distance, school, etc. 

To help you gain a bit more insight that our London Study Abroad meetings don't provide, I have interviewed student, Rona Yeh, a 4th year here at CPP in the AMM department who studies abroad in London, last spring quarter. Rona we helpful enough to help share her own personal experience and what her time there was like.

Q: What made you decide to study abroad in London and did you have any expectations going into it?
A: I decided to study abroad for two reasons. Since I have always wanted to eventually work in Europe, I wanted to learn more about the European business style and how it is like working in a fashion industry in Europe. Second was simply that I wanted to explore Europe and get to know the culture more.

Q:While studying abroad, you get to travel to different cities, countries, while being able to go out and explore. Is this the reality of studying abroad?A: Yes, I believe this is a reality of studying abroad, however it depends on every person. Going into the study abroad program with a open minded heart, having the willingness to learn and try new things is very important. Many times, I had to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things, I never end up regretting it! If you try your best to put yourself out there, then you will get the full experience of studying abroad.

Q: What did classroom sessions look like?A: We had classes Mondays and Fridays for 4-5 hours. Classes were very different when studying abroad because they were mainly project and research based. The content was also modified to fit what applied to us when abroad. We had many in-depth class discussions comparing the differences between London and America on many scales.

Q: Describe what a school day abroad was like.A: A school day abroad was actually pretty fun! We woke up around 8, took the tube to Anglo educational center for classes. Classes started at 9 am and ends around 12-1 pm. After class, we were free to do anything we want. On Fridays after class, many people use this free time to explore London, some people chose to fly out of London and start their weekend trips!

Q: What would you say to somebody who was on the edge about wanting to study abroad?A: I would 100% recommend this studying abroad program. On this trip, I not only got to experience working in London as a intern, but I also got to really figure out what I want to do in the future as a profession. Going abroad gave me a bigger perspective and understanding of the fashion industry. I also got to drink a lot of red wine and eat lots of cheese!

Studying abroad may not be for your, but I hope Rona's insight will help you get a better understanding of the reality of what goes on overseas.




If you still are interested, please get in contact with Professor Faraone as your application is due October 15th.

Safe travels!

Comments

Popular Posts