Tips and Tricks for Thrifting

In this day and age, thrifting is all the rage. Going to second-hand, consignment or even flea markets to find that one of a kind piece that will be unique to our wardrobe. Thrifting has become very popular recently since it attracts consumers from all economic levels. You have the ability to find one of a kind pieces, save money and still even get the same brands that you may find in regular priced retailers. Thrifting isn't alway for everyone, but if you have ever been curious about it or have showed any interest towards it, hopefully these answers can help you gain more information on it!

Here at Cal Poly Pomona, we asked avid thrifter, AMM student, Michelle Lim on her experiences with thrifting.


Q: What made you decide to start thrifting?
A: My sister had introduced me to thrifting in high school and I have been thrifting since. There was no rhyme or reason as to why I decided to start thrifting, it was more of an introduction to something new and from that point on I fell in love with it. It became my retail therapy. If you asked me now why I thrift, is because I believe that the world already has enough pollution in itself that we really do not need to focus on producing so much more waste. I know as an apparel student that the fashion industry is never going to stop producing and I feel like I shouldn’t be saying this, but I know it can change. There is so much potential that the fashion industry has to offer, but us as consumers can start by helping decrease the amount of apparel that is wasted away. If we are as passionate about recycling plastic, we should be able to recycle clothes as well. Honestly, as the saying goes, as cliché as it may be, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. It’s simple as that.

Q: What do you get out of thrifting? (ex. the thrill of finding new items, saving money, being an ethical shopper)
A: As I had mentioned before, it is the fact that I am making a difference, even so small, in just recycling clothes. About 90% of my closet consists of thrifted items. The feeling I get out of thrifting though are my finds especially when you find a $5 Gucci Bag and a $6 Balenciaga Top. I am not a designer brand type of girl, but being an AMM major has educated me in brand names and it is all of the above. It is knowing that you are getting a designer brand with the same quality as it would be in its original retailer for less of the amount of their tax. I would highly encourage anyone to thrift before purchasing in a mall. Visiting a thrift store is like a treasure hunt and when you find those treasures, it feels like such an accomplishment.


Q: Why is thrifting so important to you?
A: Thrifting is important to me because it is my way of not supporting fast fashion and I find thrifting much more exciting knowing that you can find a piece that no one may have because it’s a vintage. I thrift everything from clothes to home décor and I save so much money in the end. The best feeling anyone can ever get is finding a designer brand at thrift store that would cost more than $200 at its original price. Thrifting has become part of my lifestyle and I am all for it.

Q: What advice would you give to a person who is just gaining interest in thrifting?
A: Patience. The first thing you will notice about thrift stores is that there is no set organization, there is structure, but most items will be just that one. You will be overwhelmed sometimes and that is just how it goes. Don’t go in looking for a particular item, it narrows everything down and you will only disappoint yourself in the end if you didn’t find that one thing. Have an open mind and don’t go in with expectations. For me personally, when I go thrifting I get in the zone and lose myself in the fixtures and I end up finding the best pieces when I look through one by one. I sometimes will listen to music if I am thrifting on my own and just escape. Find out if your local thrift stores have sales. The places I normally visit have 50% colored tags or student discounts, etc. Utilize what you have, although, the prices are already low, it does not hurt to save more especially as a broke college student. Have fun with it, thrifting is an experience. I love being able to just go in and coming across some interesting stuff. Each item in a thrift store has a story and that is what makes it so awesome.


Q: Any tips you want to share with us about the key to thrifting and finding great items?
A: Just like I had mentioned previously, patience is your friend. Sometimes I will have days where I will spend hours in the store and leave with nothing, but I also have those days where I get a cart worth of items 10 minutes into walking into the store. Every day is different from the next, just have fun with it.

Comments

Popular Posts